Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 1 Off and Running

Here we go the big day is finally here. Seems like I have a ton of electronics with me. My family is giving me alot of grief because of all this stuff I am taking.
We stopped at the windmills near Parsons to determine the velocity of the blade tips. As I was getting out of the van, I could hear the sounds, a whap, whap sound. I did not expect them to be as loud as they were or that the blade tips moved as fast as they did. We calculated the speed at 123 mph. It was sort of hard to follow one blade during the timing period.  We did it twice and came out about the same each time so I guess I did it correctly.



Our 2nd stop was at Davis, WV. Dr. Mike Little talked to us about the history of Davis and Thomas. He also spoke to us about the coal seam here. It is 11 feet wide and was apparently very easy to get to. This coal did not contain pyrites like what we will see tomarrow.  We also got to see the no. 3 mine portal near the post office. The signs in the parking area below town showed what this area looked like during the mining heyday.



Not at all like what is there now.





It is hard to believe that the photo below was once the location of a major mining operation.




Dr. Little also told us about how Henry Davis handled labor disputes. He did not evict strikers from their company owned houses  and he did not use Baldwin Felts thugs to break up strikers. I found it interesting that the right of way dispute at Cokersly Farm involving Davis's railroad and the B&O did not involve any firearms and produced no injuries. This was totally unlike the incident at Blair Mountain in southern WV.  Davis also had an opera house something you don't see in the coal towns in southern WV. 

No comments:

Post a Comment